Full Name: Mary Eileen McDonnell
Birthplace: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Date of Birth: 04/28/1952
College: State University of New York, Fredonia, NY
After making her name on the New York stage, McDonnell began booking TV and film roles in the early 1980s. Able to exude intelligence and compassion, the actress was well used in a series of roles, notably as a white woman raised by American Indians in 1990’s Dances With Wolves and as a paraplegic soap star in 1992’s Passion Fish, earning Oscar nods for both performances. In her forties, she looked to the small screen for more fruitful parts, and turned in a slew of solid performances in myriad TV movies. A recurring role on ER as a do-gooder in denial (an Emmy-nominated role) sparked her interest in series television, and in 2003 she landed the plum part of a reluctant president on the lauded revamp of Battlestar Galactica. In 2009, she began appearing on The Closer as a headstrong police captain who goes toe-to-toe with Kyra Sedgwick’s character. She continues her role as Captain Sharon Raydor as the lead in Major Crimes, a spinoff of The Closer. Off camera, McDonnell is married to fellow actor Randle Mell, and the pair have two children.
- 1980 Obie Award Winner, Still Life
- 1991 Academy Award Nominee (Best Actress in a Supporting Role), Dances With Wolves
- 1991 Golden Globe Nominee (Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture), Dances With Wolves
- 1993 Academy Award Nominee (Best Actress in a Leading Role), Passion Fish
- 1993 Golden Globe Nominee (Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama), Passion Fish
- 2002 Emmy Nominee (Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series), ER
- 2007 SFX Award (UK) Nominee (Best Actress), Battlestar Galactica
- 2009 Saturn Award Winner (Best Actress in Television), Battlestar Galactica
- 2010 SFX (UK) Nominee (Best Actress), Battlestar Galactica
- 2011 Emmy Nominee (Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series), The Closer
- 2011 Gotham Award Nominee (Best Ensemble Cast), Margin Call
- 2011 Phoenix Film Critics Society Award Nominee (Best Ensemble Acting), Margin Call
- 2012 Central Ohio Film Critics Association Award Nominee (Best Ensemble), Margin Call
- 2012 Independent Spirit Award Winner (Robert Altman Award recognizing director, casting director, and ensemble cast), Margin Call
- 2015 Barrymore Award Nominee (Charlotte Cushman Award for Outstanding Leading Actress in a Play), The Cherry Orchard
- 2015 Broken Glass Award Recipient
- Made her stage debut in 1978, appearing in Sam Shepard’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play Buried Child.
- Was in the Portland Stage Company with Sarah Jessica Parker, and lived in the same apartment house.
- Taught drama at Vassar College summer theater in the mid-1980s, and later at the New York Stage and Film Company.
- Husband Randle Mell played a homeless man opposite her in the 1991 movie Grand Canyon.
- Has worked twice with director John Sayles, on 1987’s Matewan, her first major film role, and 1992’s Passion Fish, for which she garnered an Oscar nomination.
- Like George Clooney, she appeared on the short-lived CBS sitcom titled E/R before landing a role on the famous drama ER (as Noah Wyle’s mother).
- Has played both a First Lady (in Independence Day) and a President (in Battlestar Galactica).
adapted from tvguide.com and IMDb.com